Thelema is a spiritual philosophy or religion developed by the early 20th century British writer and ceremonial magician, Aleister Crowley. The religion is founded upon a new ethical code: “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law”. Thelemites should seek out and follow their own true path in life, known as their True Will, rather than follow their egoic desires.
—Adapted from Wikipedia, “Thelema”, retrieved 16 July 2012.
- Liber AL vel Legis, with scans of the manuscript. The founding text of Thelema.
- Magick in Theory and Practice. Part III of an even larger work, a comprehensive introduction to magick in the Thelemic system.
- Liber OZ. A one-page summary, in one-syllable words, of the “rights of man” according to Crowley.
- ”Duty”, by Aleister Crowley.
- “The Scientific Solution of the Problem of Government”, by Comte de Fénix (Aleister Crowley)
- The Libri of Aleister Crowley hosted by hermetic.com
- O.T.O. and A∴A∴ Libri hosted by U.S. Grand Lodge of O.T.O.
- The Equinox (Volume I and parts of Volume III)
The A∴A∴ is a magical order dedicated to the study and practice of magick and Thelemic mysticism on the strictly individual level. It was founded by Crowley and George Cecil Jones. Today, several different “lineages” of A∴A∴ continue to initiate and teach new students, each one tracing back to one or more students of Crowley’s original order.
- ordoaa.org (referenced by College of Thelema and Temple of Thelema)
- Contact information for the A∴A∴ (provided by U.S. Grand Lodge, O.T.O.)
College of Thelema and Temple of Thelema (Soror Meral’s lineage)
Ecclesia Gnostica Universalis
Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.)
O.T.O. is a fraternal and social organization, originally founded by German Freemasons with an interest in Hermeticism and esoteric sexuality. Crowley became a member and reformed the organization along Thelemic lines. Several orders exist today which claim to be the heirs of Crowley’s order; the order we have provided links for here is the one which has won court cases (notably in 1985) as the legitimate continuation of Crowley’s O.T.O., and the lawful holder of most of Crowley’s copyrights.
Like any group, particularly one which is the heir of such a legendary magician, O.T.O. is not without its critics.
- The Ordo Templi Orientis Phenomenon (Peter Koenig)
- A Statement regarding the O.T.O. by T Allen Greenfield
- Chthonic-Auranian Templars of Thelema
- Golden Triangle Temple
- Open Source Order of the Golden Dawn
- Order of Thelemic Knights
- Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn